Taking action togetherRecognising that people living with secondary breast cancer don’t always receive the best standards of care, Breast Cancer Care started a campaign to improve care and support – our Spotlight on Secondary Breast Cancer. Shaped by the views and opinions of people living with secondary breast cancer, Spotlight is focusing on three key areas.
What we are calling for:
- solid data consistently collected on the numbers of people with secondary breast cancer in the UK – guessing is not good enough. Take a look at the data collection pilot we ran last year.
- healthcare professionals properly resourced and trained to meet the needs of their patients living with secondary breast cancer. We have recently produced a new Nursing Toolkit which provides guidance and suggestions for nurses caring for people living with secondary breast cancer.
- Cancer Networks working towards our Standards of care for people with secondary breast cancer, which spells out 10 key components of high-quality care. For example, specialist nurses, and continuity of care between hospital and community services.
How to take part
We urgently need people to be involved at a local level to make this Spotlight on Secondary Breast Cancer campaign a success.
- Download your copy of Taking action together to find out more about what you can do.
- Join Breast Cancer Voices, our user involvement group, and sign up to secondary breast cancer campaigning.
- Contact your politician and ask them to support the Spotlight campaign.
How to contact your local politician (pdf)
- Write to the Network Director of your Cancer Network asking him/her to sign up to our Standards of care.
Draft letter to your cancer network
- Distribute the Standards of care to hospitals, GP practices and any healthcare professionals you come into contact with. The more people who see them the better.
- If you are a healthcare professional push your local Cancer Network to sign up and support our Standards of care.
MegaphoneTell us what you’ve done
Remember to keep us posted on your campaigning. It will help us to coordinate our activity and monitor the success of the campaign. Tell us about your actions – email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Policy and Campaigns team on 0345 092 0800. You can also tweet us @BCCare – remember to include #spotlight.