Gather your friends together for this scrumptious smoky cheese and onion tart by chef and actor Fay Ripley, made exclusively for Breast Cancer Care's Afternoon Tea. Have your own tea this July and get your free Afternoon Tea kit today.
Time: 50 minutes
- A splash of olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 180g smoked Cheddar, e.g. Applewood, grated
- 200mI half-fat crème fraîche
- 320g pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry (or make it)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven 180°C (fan), 200°C, gas mark 6.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the sliced onion till soft and starting to go golden at the edges, about 10 minutes. Throw in the thyme leaves and transfer to a large bowl along with the grated cheese and crème fraîche. Add some black pepper and mix well.
- Unroll the pastry onto a lined baking tray. Fold over the edges of the pastry, 1cm in, all the way around to give the tart an edge. Use a fork to press it into place and mark the border.
- Spread the cheesy mix over the base of the tart and scatter with the tomato halves. Bake for 30 minutes till golden and bubbling.
Allow to cool slightly and serve on a big wooden board with a crisp green salad.
Gather your friends and family for an Afternoon Tea this July. Sign up today and get your free Afternoon Tea kit.