This role is open for recruitment
What is Moving Forward?
We understand that a person’s need for support doesn’t end when treatment finishes. Our Moving Forward services and information are for anyone living with and beyond breast cancer, helping them approach life after treatment with increased confidence.
Our Moving Forward Courses usually take place over 4 consecutive weeks and are delivered by a Moving Forward Facilitator, in partnership with NHS hospitals. Courses cover a range of sessions and topics delivered by local expert speakers.
What commitment is required?
The Moving Forward courses usually take place over 3 or 4 consecutive weeks. A volunteer would ideally be involved each week for half a day. Number of courses and locations vary.
What will I be doing?
You will be supporting a Moving Forward Facilitator at the course. Typical tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Liaise with Moving Forward Facilitator, or other Breast Cancer Care staff, to establish shared responsibilities during the course;
- Help to set up and clear away at the beginning and end of the course
- Welcome participants on arrival
- Helping with the provision of refreshments and talking to participants during breaks
- Talking briefly about your personal experience of breast cancer, your role as a Breast Cancer Care volunteer or other Breast Cancer Care services, where applicable
- Offering emotional support to participants if they become upset or need to take a break
What skills and qualities do I need?
A personal diagnosis of primary breast cancer (and being at least 12 months post diagnosis), or being a friend or family member of someone with a diagnosis is preferable but not essential;
- An understanding and empathy of the issues faced by people with a breast cancer diagnosis
- To be a confident and skilled communicator, a good listener with a non-judgemental and non-directive attitude and approach
- A commitment to working within Breast Cancer Care’s policies and guidelines including respect for client confidentiality and equal opportunities.
The difference you will make
During a Moving Forward course the facilitator will have multiple responsibilities, such as liaising with speakers, organisaing IT equipment and having oversight of the smooth running of the course. As a Moving Forward volunteer you can make a difference by supporting the facilitator with the practical elements of the course, as well as being available to offer support to the participants throughout the course, something our clients tell us is essential to their experience.
What training and support will I receive?
- Volunteers new to Breast Cancer Care will attend a Welcome Workshop (1 day) and all volunteers will attend a 1 day role specific training in advance of becoming a volunteer
- A named contact within Breast Cancer Care
- Refund of reasonable travel expenses in accordance with our expenses policy.
We are currently looking for volunteers in the following locations, please click on the links to find out more and apply:
Essex - Southend
Glasgow (covering New Victoria, Paisley and Inverclyde).
London - Tooting