The Secondary Breast Cancer Nurses Forum is open to members of Breast Cancer Care’s Nursing Network and has been set up in response to requests from nurses working with patients affected by metastatic breast cancer.
The group is open to any Nursing Network member who is currently involved in providing specialist care to people with metastatic breast cancer, or who is interested in developing their clinical skills within this client group.
Terms of reference Secondary Breast Cancer Nurses Forum
Purposes of the group
- To bring together nurses working with people with secondary breast cancer, enabling them to share expertise and influence positive changes in patient care.
- To learn and share best practice which in turn help improve standards of care for people with secondary breast cancer.
- To work with Breast Cancer Care’s Policy and Campaigns team, providing expertise and commentary on behalf of people with secondary breast cancer.
- To provide a peer support network for members, in recognition of the emotional demands of working with people with secondary breast cancer.
- To raise awareness of the support and information available from Breast Cancer Care to those diagnosed with secondary breast cancer.
- Share different models of specialist cancer nursing.
- Share information and support on setting up nurse-led clinics for people with secondary breast cancer.
- Explore how data collection is managed in different areas.
- Identify best assessment tools for use in practice, for example Holistic Needs Assessment.
- Promote joint working between nurses working with people with secondary breast cancer secondary breast cancer and appropriate colleagues in palliative care.
- Contribute to a regular column in the Nursing Network newsletter to keep the wider Nursing Network members updated with the group’s work/key messages as appropriate.
The Secondary Breast Cancer Nurses Forum is open to any Breast Cancer Care Nursing Network member (including breast care nurses, clinical nurse specialists, breast care practitioners, research nurses and palliative care nurses) who offers care to people diagnosed with secondary breast cancer. Members’ details will be kept confidentially at Breast Cancer Care in accordance with data protection regulation.
The role of the Chair person
The Chair will be a member of the group, supported by the Clinical Nurse Specialist in Secondary breast cancer at Breast Cancer Care. All members may nominate a Chair person. In the event of their being more than one nominee, members will vote to elect the chair.
The term of office for the Chair will be one year from May to April.
The Chair will liaise with the Clinical Nurse Specialist in Secondary breast cancer at Breast Cancer Care prior to every group meeting to decide the agenda of meetings.
Two face to face meetings a year (attendance is voluntary).
The Clinical Nurse Specialist in Secondary breast cancer at Breast Cancer Care will attend meetings along with other Breast Cancer Care staff as appropriate.
To join the forum, email email@example.com